Effectiveness of nonhormonal products for the treatment of women with vaginal atrophy. [Efectividad de productos no hormonales para el tratamiento de las mujeres con atrofia vaginal].
Abstract: Objective: To describe the clinical progress of women with vaginal atrophy who receive nonhormonal treatment. Material and methods: Single-center retrospective longitudinal observational descriptive study in postmenopausal women aged 45-60 years with symptoms of vaginal atrophy who required nonhormonal treatment. Results: We included 98 women with a mean (SD) age of 54.6 (3.2) years and a mean time of 5.6 (3.0) years without menstrual periods. Of these, 63.3% were treated with hyaluronic acid and Centella asiatica cell lysate and the other 36.7% with glycerin and polycarbophil. The vaginal maturation index improved significantly after 3 months of treatment with hyaluronic acid and Centella asiatica: the parabasal cell count declined (-8.4%; 95%CI, –10.6 to –6.2; p=0.001) and the intermediate cell count increased (3.6%; 95%CI, 2.0-5.3; p=0.001), as did that of superficial cells (4.8%; 95%CI, 3.8-5.7; p=0.001). In addition, all symptoms and signs of vaginal atrophy improved after 3 months with treatment with hyaluronic acid and Centella asiatica lysate. There was no significant change in the vaginal maturation index or in symptoms and signs after 3 months of treatment with glycerin and polycarbophil. Conclusions: Three months of nonhormonal treatment with hyaluronic acid and Centella asiatica lysate significantly improved the vaginal maturation index.
Universal identifier: http://hdl.handle.net/10641/1993
- MEDICINA